Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ant Man

A good movie with bad science. Look, I try not to be a stickler for science in movies. If the Avengers had to actually follow the laws of physics, the world would be a worse place. But you have to be internally consistent. If a man shrinks down to the size of an ant but you specifically say that he maintains his original mass and becomes super-dense, he cannot ride a flying ant in the next scene. Ants are strong, but they cannot carry something the weight of a human being.

Here's a thought: Why not give his suit wings? If it can be done (and it was on the Hornet's suit) why not include that feature generally?

Also, why did the suit not have any weapons? It was originally used for battle. They show that footage. So why wouldn't you give it weapons?

Otherwise, this was a pretty fun flick, which some absolutely hilarious moments. They way messages were passed through Luis was particularly brilliant--I hope this is not the last we see of that guy.

I also very much enjoyed the heist aspects of the film. I will admit that there is a part of my brain more or less exclusively devoted to planning the perfect heist. (I tell myself that this is true for most mad scientists.) Therefore, to see that a film (are we allowed to still call them that?) could simultaneously be a heist movie and a superhero movie was quite satisfying.

I recommend this movie, but I also recommend that Marvel slow down and start being a little more thoughtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment