Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Hunt for Red October

Really, I cannot say enough good things about this movie. The plot is pleasingly intricate, and, better yet, tight. So often when you have so many wheels moving as The Hunt for Red October does, at least one gaping hole is inevitable. I have seen Red October many, many times, and have yet to find one. (Admittedly, my love of the movie may be blinding me to something, but I don't think so--I love the movie because it has no holes, not the other way around. In any event, if you know of one, please don't put it in the comments and ruin this for me...)

The characters are all excellently done. Somehow, it feels like they each get quite a bit of screen time, even though, by my count, there are about ten major ones, and so some must necessarily be only sketches. They are, however, very deft sketches, and the viewer's imagination very easily fills in the details.

What stood out to me particularly this time was the dynamics between Ramius and Borodin. I like Borodin very much. I like him because of his absolute loyalty. My favorite scene (though there are many good ones to choose from) may be the one with Borodin in the engine room after the caterpillar drive goes out. The way Borodin says, "The captain knows what he's doing," after Ramius gives the order to continue on normal propulsion is perfect. That choice of loyalty, in spite of fear, in spite even of creeping doubt, that is why I love Borodin, and part of why I love the movie.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to cut this review short because I have other things to do tonight, but go watch it. Right now. It's on Netflix. What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment